The city of Tucumcari Volunteer Animal Rescue will hosting the 2012 dog and cat health fair Aug. 9-11 at the Tucumcari Convention Center.
The Santa Fe Humane Society's mobile spay and neuter van will be providing services to pre registered patients, said Christina Fleming, event coordinator.
Fleming said the cost is set at $10, payable to the Santa Fe Humane Society, with donations accepted. She said the first two days should be covered by the state and humane society's funding, with the rescue group trying to raise money to keep the van in Tucumcari for a third day.
"This is a great service one of which I urge city and county residents to register for," said Doug Powers, Tucumcari city manager.
Powers said taking advantage of this service will help to control the pet population, and lower the number of euthanizations.
Fleming said registration will begin at 8 a.m., on July 16 with forms available at the City of Tucumcari, Village of Logan and Village of San Jon offices. She said registration for the spaying and neutering will close at 5 p.m., on July 19. Forms have to be filled out at the offices and cannot be taken home.
Fleming said the spay and neuter services will be based on a first-come, first-served basis, though exceptions may occur due to the scheduling needs of the surgeons based on the animal's size, type and sex. Some animals will be put on a stand by list in the event that a no-show occurs.
Fleming said those who registered for the service will be notified by phone for their appointment time and date. She said you must be at the site at 7 a.m., the day of your appointment or stand by.
Residents who cannot afford the $10 may be eligible for a voucher from the Zimmerman Foundation. Residents with an annual income less than $40,000 qualify for this voucher and are encouraged to apply by calling 505-466-1676.
Other services showcased at the fair include grooming, vaccinations, micro-chipping, flea/tick treatment, diagnostic testing, pet portraits, and animal rescue information.
• What: Dog and cat health fair
• Where: Tucumcari Convention Center rear parking lot
• When: Aug. 9-11. Surgery drop-off begin at 7 a.m., with activities until 4 p.m. Spay and neuters by appointment 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Arrive the day of your appointment by 7 a.m., as registration could take up to 45 minutes.
• If you are not at the site by 7 a.m., the day of your appointment your spot will be given to an animal on stand by.
• No food after midnight, the night before the surgery. Water is OK.
• Aggressive animals must have their owners stay at the site until the surgery occurs.
• Bring proof of vaccinations; unvaccinated animals will be vaccinated at no charge as part of the surgery.
• Dogs and cats must be at least two months old and no older than 5 years old.
• Owners must be able to pick up their animal between 2 p.m.- 5 p.m.
• All animals must be leashed or crated, with owners responsible for their pet’s behavior and clean up, per Tucumcari city ordinance.