Farwell Invitational highlights
At Farwell High School
• The Texico Wolverines advanced to today’s 8:30 p.m. (CST) finals against Farwell, squeaking out a 48-47 win over Vega on a free throw by senior Seth Bailey with no time left on the clock.
Bailey, who scored a game-high 17 points, was fouled as he went up for a shot with time expiring and the score tied. He made the first free throw to end it and cap a comeback from a 13-point deficit for the Wolverines (6-0).
Chip Morris led the Longhorns (5-3) with 15 points.
• Farwell (7-2) dominated the middle two quarters, outscoring Dora 32-13, and handed the Coyotes a 58-34 loss. Junior guard Josh Olivas led a balanced Steers attack with 11 points, while Ismael Machado topped the Coyotes (5-2) with eight.
• Friona advanced to the fifth-place game with an 83-44 pounding of Bovina as senior Stetson Reed led a balanced attack with 15 points. Junior Desmond Fox had 14 for the Mustangs (4-6).
• Fort Sumner (3-1) dominated start to finish in a 74-21 rout of Clovis Christian (1-6). Leading scorers were sophomore Kolter West with 15 for the Foxes and junior Mike Root with seven for CCS.
• Texico will meet Farwell in the finals for the second consecutive year — and the second consecutive weekend, too — the Lady Blue upended Texico 30-27 in the finals of last week’s Citizens Bank Border Shootout in Texico.
The Lady Wolverines (5-2) outscored Friona 15-3 in the second quarter to open a 17-point lead and went on to a 42-23 victory behind 16 points from senior Katlin Luscombe.
• Farwell (10-1) led 16-2 at the quarter and rode the quick start to a 39-29 win over previously unbeaten Dora. The Lady Coyotes (7-1) struggled from the line, going 7-of-25 to just 4-of-5 for Farwell.
Senior guards Keegan Langford and Tiffani Jones had 13 and 12 points, respectively, for the Lady Blue. Senior post Kelli Merrick scored 16 points for Dora.
• Bovina built a 31-13 halftime cushion and held off Vega 60-55. Junior Lynda Rodriguez led four players in double figures for the Fillies (3-5) with 16 points.
• Fort Sumner (5-2) rolled to a 25-4 lead at the quarter and blitzed winless Clovis Christian 54-15 with senior Sarah Stinnett scoring 14 points.
— Freedom New Mexico