A recap of Thursday’s games in the 53rd annual EPAC basketball tournament, played at Melrose High School. All games were in the consolation bracket.
* Senior Mark Butler scored 23 points, leading four Dora players in double figures in a 68-50 victory over Clovis Christian. Freshman Dylan Privett added 12 points and junior Michael Puebla and sophomore Kyler King had 10 apiece for the Coyotes (7-6), while sophomore Kevin Naceanceno had 13 points and seniors Dylan Otero and Cordy Wilhoit and eighth-grader Kendall Naceanceno had 10 each for the Eagles (0-9).
* Elida erased a 21-20 deficit late in the second quarter, scoring the final nine points of the half and going on a 31-5 run though the third quarter to blow out King’s Gate 80-32. Senior Kody Paiz led five players in double figures for the Tigers (6-6) with 20 points, while the Lions (0-7) got 13 points from senior Marvin Bonilla.
* Melrose got 19 points from senior Clint Barnard and the Buffaloes (4-4) pulled away to a 62-41 victory over Grady. Senior Dalton Thomas scored 16 points for the Bronchos (0-12).
* Eighth-grader Karina Cardenas led a balanced Tatum attack with 10 points and the Lady Coyotes (6-5) pulled away to a 42-26 win over Grady, outscoring the Lady Bronchos 10-2 in the final quarter. Senior Skylar Starbuck matched Cardenas for game honors with 10 points for the Lady Bronchos (6-8).
* Fort Sumner posted a 22-6 blitz in the second quarter to secure a 44-16 victory over San Jon. The Vixens (7-3) got 14 points from freshman LaNay Crenshaw and 10 from junior Sarah Stinnett, while the Lady Coyotes (4-8) were led by eight points from senior Tracy Foote.
* Freshman Cara Barnard scored nine points and Melrose (5-3) had four others with at least six in the Lady Buffaloes’ 46-35 win over Clovis Christian (2-9). The Lady Eagles, who fell behind 13-2 at the quarter and never recovered, got 19 points from senior Jocelyn Swann and 10 from senior Julia Roberts.
At Melrose H.S.
Logan 72, San Jon 52
Dora 68, Clovis Christian 50
Elida 80, King’s Gate 32
Melrose 62, Grady 41
Tatum 42, Grady 26
Fort Sumner 44, San Jon 16
Logan 52, House 2
Melrose 46, Clovis Christian 35
At ENMU, Portales
King’s Gate (0-7) vs. San Jon (4-8), 11:30 a.m.
Clovis Christian (0-9) vs. Grady (0-13), 2:30 p.m.
Fort Sumner (7-4) vs. Texico (10-0), 5:30 p.m.
Tatum (7-3) vs. Floyd (9-0), 8:30 p.m.
House (0-9) vs. Grady (6-8), 10 a.m.
San Jon (4-8) vs. Clovis Christian (2-9), 1 p.m.
Dora (10-3) vs. Texico (8-5), 4 p.m.
Floyd (9-2) vs. Elida (10-2), 7 p.m.