• Senior Seth Bailey, limited by foul problems through three quarters, scored 14 of his 35 points in the final period and Texico held off Santa Rosa 58-53 at Santa Rosa for the District 6-2A regular-season title.
Texico (25-2, 5-1 district) will host the district championship game at 6 p.m. Saturday. Santa Rosa (18-7, 4-2), as the No. 2 seed, will play either Tucumcari or Clayton on Thursday in a semifinal game.
Texico went 14-of-18 from the free throw line in the final period, including 8-of-8 by Bailey, to outscore the Lions 24-20 after leading by a point though three stanzas.
“It was back-and-forth the whole way,” Wolverines coach Richard Luscombe said. “We just had to make free throws in the fourth quarter.
Joaquin Bachicha led the Lions with 13 points, while Gary Agar chipped in with 10.
• Floydada pulled away down the stretch for a 75-67 victory over Muleshoe in a District 2-2A playoff game for seeding purposes played at Littlefield.
Friona won the three-way playoff, beating Floydada on Thursday and Muleshoe on Friday to earn the No. 1 playoff seed from the district. Saturday’s game determined the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds for the playoffs.
Muleshoe (18-14) will face Spearman in a 5 p.m. (MST) bi-district game on Tuesday at Canyon.
Bryson Session led the Whirlwinds (23-8) with 26 points, while Jordan Cornelius scored 13 and David Diaz 11. Floydada put the game away by outscoring the Mules 23-17 in the final period.
For Muleshoe, junior guard Tyson Turnbow finished with 22 points, while junior forward Cooper Washington and junior guard Isaias Guerra each added 11.
• In the opening game of the District 3-1A tournament at Elida, fifth-seeded Dora got 19 points from senior Mark Butler and 10 from sophomore Kyler King in a 51-46 win over the fourth-seeded Tigers.
The Coyotes (10-17), who led by 11 at halftime, advance to a 6 p.m. game at third-seeded Melrose on Tuesday. Senior Kody Paiz and junior Jordyn Tivis scored 14 points each for Elida.
• Melrose held Fort Sumner scoreless for a stretch of nearly eight minutes in the second half and the Lady Buffaloes beat the Vixens 44-33 in the opening District 3-1A tournament game at Fort Sumner.
Senior Shelby McElroy scored 19 points and freshman Cara Barnard added 10 for the fifth-seeded Lady Buffaloes (9-13), who advanced to a 6 p.m. game on Monday at No. 3 Elida (17-8).
Junior guard Sarah Stinnett had 10 ponits for the Vixens (13-12). Fort Sumner led 24-23 with just over five minutes left in the third quarter before Melrose tallied the next 12 points to lead by 11 with under seven minutes left.
• At Santa Rosa, the Texico Lady Wolverines locked up the District 6-2A regular-season title with a 47-42 win over Santa Rosa.
Texico (21-5, 6-0), the only team to beat the Lady Lions (24-2, 4-2) this season, got 11 points from 6-foot-1 freshman forward Shaylee Anderson and 10 from senior guard Victoria Richards. Winners of 14 in a row, the Lady Wolverines will host the district tourney championship game at 6 p.m. Saturday.
Texico built a 13-point lead in the third quarter and Santa Rosa was unable to get closer than the final margin after that. Senior guard Sara Tapia and senior post Renae Roybal scored 11 points apiece for the Lady Lions.