6-man District 2
• Coach: Ralph Gawehn (3rd year, 7-8; 3rd year overall at Elida)
• 2009 record: 4-4 (1-2, 4th place, 6-man District 2)
• Returning starters (offense): 5
• Returning starters (defense): 5
• Top returning players: Kevin Mitchell, Sr., FB; Jordyn Tivis, Sr., DE; Alex Varela, Sr., TB.
• Top newcomers: Magin Montoya, Sr., QB; Orrie Spinks, Sr., DE.
• Possible breakout player: Randy Jasso.
• Biggest hole(s) to fill: QB Shane Mitchell graduated, but Gawehn believes Montoya will prove to be a capable replacement.
• Lunchpail guy: Tyrel King, Jr., C. “He is the type of guy who shows up for everything and never misses anything,” Gawehn said. “We’ve had some car washes and some fundraisers and he’s helped pick up tree limbs that were cut down at the school. He’s always upbeat and he’s sort of like the anchor of the team.”
• Hardest hitter: Mitchell.
• Biggest early-season test: Roy/Mosquero, a team the Tigers haven’t beaten in their three-year history.
• Keys to 2010 season: Over the last two years the team has been short on team leadership, Gawehn said. “I’ve been trying to instill that into the boys and they’re really starting to come around. Leadership is a little contagious because once a few of the boys start pushing and say ‘hey, come on.’”
• Coach’s overview: “We are looking good in most areas and are at least two deep in all positions. Like every coach, we pray for our team to stay healthy throughout the season. We have a new quarterback, Magin Montoya, who I believe will step up to the challenge. Jordyn Tivis is a very versatile player and can play many positions. Kevin Mitchell and Alex Varela have speed and moves in the backfield. Tyrel King is our anchor with size, quickness and good hands.”
• Last playoff appearance: none.
• State titles: none.
• 2010 schedule
August: 27 — Roy/Mosquero, 5 p.m.
September: 2 — New Mexico School for the Deaf, 4 p.m.; 10 — at Clovis Christian, 7 p.m.; 17 — at Vaughn, 3 p.m.; 24 — Valley Christian, 4 p.m.-x.
October: 1 — at House/Grady, 2 p.m.; 8 — Lake Arthur, 4 p.m.-x; 15 — at Hondo, 7 p.m.; 22 — at Dora, 3 p.m.-x.
Player Yr. Pos.
Mitch Bennett Jr. G/DE
Laneith Chenault Fr. HB/LB
Randy Jasso Jr. DE/G
Tyrel King Jr. C/NG
Kevin Mitchell Sr. FB/S
Magin Montoya Sr. QB/DB
Tucker Morgan So. FB
Orrie Spinks Sr. WR
Jordyn Tivis Sr. LB/QB
Alex Varela Sr HB/S
Kevin Yager So. DE
— Compiled by Clarence Plank