A 5-year-old girl was killed and six others injured in a one-vehicle rollover Monday on Interstate 40 near Tucumcari.
According to a release from the New Mexico State Police:
• About 5:50 p.m., a 2001 Chevrolet mini-van driven by Monica Benson, 29, overturned while traveling in the westbound lanes of I-40 in the vicinity of mile post 347. The vehicle left the south (left) edge of the roadway, re-entered the travel lanes, then rolled, coming to rest about 38 feet north of the highway. Gary Benson, the driver’s husband, and five children from 18 months to 9 years, were ejected from the vehicle.
• Emily Benson, 5, died at the scene.
• Gary Benson and 18 month old Benjamin Benson were airlifted to Northwest Healthcare System in Amarillo with severe head trauma. Their condition is unknown at this time.
• Monica Benson and her three other children were treated and are due to be released from the Dan C. Trigg Hospital in Tucumcari. Victoria Benson, 9, sustained a fractured arm. All children were treated for severe “road rash.”
• A cause was not been determined for the crash as of Tuesday night. All restraints were functioning properly, and none of the restraints in the second and third row seats were secured when the vehicle was examined. It was apparent none of the rear seat restraints were used.